A purse with gold-tone hardware can add a touch of elegance and sophistication. Over time, however, this hardware can become tarnished, dull, and lose its luster. Don’t worry if your gold-toned bag has seen better days!
This blog post on How to Restore Faded Gold Hardware on Handbag 2023 will include some ways to restore faded fold hardware from your handbags if you have handbags from premium or luxury handbag brands.
However, if your handbag is on the expensive side be aware of the thing that expensive brands such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, etc could probably refuse to accept further repairs afterward and they can decline all responsibility if their factory or authorized repair services do not handle the warranty.
One of the best tips I could give you when having a luxury brand designer handbag is to take your bag to their official store they will probably replace the gold hardware without cost or will try to solve your problem otherway.
You can restore the hardware to its original condition with little effort and bring back the shine. In this article, we will guide you through the process of restoring the gold-tone hardware on a purse. From the necessary tools and materials to step-by-step instructions to repair your purse’s hardware.
Whether you’re looking to revive an old handbag or maintain the shine on a new one, this guide is perfect for anyone who wants to keep their bag hardware well-maintained.
According to Makersrow’s research, the most commonly used materials to build handbag hardware are zinc, copper, nickel, and iron. Most of the gold-tone hardware is a combination of these four so make sure you use the current solution.
How to Restore Faded Gold Hardware on Handbag 2023
TIP 1: Use Jewellery Polish Cloth + Tarnish Remover
This tip is a real-life experience that was used on my Michael Kors handbag and it really did the trick for me.
List of necessary materials need to follow this tip:-
- Jewellery Polish Cloth (Buy on Amazon)
- Tarnish Remover (Buy on Amazon)
Tarnishing the hardware with this tip:-
This is the easiest and most effective method to use. You just need to take a Jewellery Polish Cloth which you can buy at a local store or on Amazon.
Use the Jewellery Polish Cloth gently with a Tarnish Remover and gently use the cloth in a circular motion to clean and remove the tarnish.
Even I was surprised by how well this simple tip worked for me. This is one of our easiest tips on How to Restore the Gold-Tone Hardware on a Purse.
You may even try only Jewelry Polish Cloth if your handbag has little Tarnish on the gold hardware.
1. MayFlower Jewellery Polish Cloth
- 4.7/5.0 Star Ratings on Amazon
- 100% Cotton
- Made in USA
- White cloth with cleaning ingredients to polish
- The size of each cloth open and flat is 11 x 14 inches
2. Weiman Instant Tarnish Remover – 16 Ounce Bottle
- 4.4/5.0 Star Ratings on Amazon
- Long-Lasting Shine – The finest ingredients keep silver
- Restore – Rejuvenates dull & tarnished silver by removing tarnish
- Protect – Non-scratch formula leaves behind a protective coating
- Use On- Heavily tarnished silver or copper metal pieces
Relative How to Post by us:- How To Remove Alcohol Stains On Leather Bag (4 Tips)
TIP 2: Use Silvo Metal Polish with a Microfilament Cloth (85% polyester and 15% nylon)
To work on this tip you have to buy a Silvo Metal Polish from the Amazon store or any local store.
List of necessary material need to follow this tip:-
- A Metal Polish (Buy on Amazon)
- Microfilament Cloth (Buy on Amazon)
Steps to follow for this tip:-
- Apply a little metal polish on the gold hardware and then gently wipe it off with the cloth Microfilament Cloth containing 85% polyester and 15% nylon.
- It is better to move in a straight line rather than in a circular motion. You might have to repeat it several times with gold hardware to remove the oxidation/tarnish.
1. Silvo Metal Polish Wadding
- 4.5/5.0 Star Ratings on Amazon
- Suitable for silver, gold and electroplate
- 75 Milliliters volume
- 2.6 Ounce
2. Weiman Instant Tarnish Remover – 16 Ounce Bottle
- 4.6/5.0 Star Ratings on Amazon
- 12 Pack Black Cloths
- Used Intra-Weave 2.0 microfiber technology to create
- Not just a microfiber towel but serves great as fast drying dish cloths for your kitchen.
TIP 3: Vinegar + Water
This approach is not for everyone, as it requires a lot of courage, but one of my close friends found it to be successful with on her Gucci purse, so I wanted to share it with you.
As her Gucci bag is around 7-8 years old she took her Gucci to the shop and asked about the solution and they said to send the bag to their manufacturer to get new parts or repair it which would take 2 months to reach her. So she decided to find a solution on the web and she exactly found a solution that helped her to solve her problem.
Polishing hardware tarnish with this tip:-
- Mix 1 part vinegar (white vinegar will do the work) with 2 parts of water.
- Take a Jewellery Polish Cloth or a towel
- Soak it in the solution we have made at the first step and lay it on the affected metal
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes
- Scrub any residue off with a cloth.
NOTE: Before you follow TIP3 on your handbag make sure you know the type of hardware used on your bag and in addition don’t use this tip on leather material.
TIP 4: Use Carnuba Based Wax Polish
If you want to prevent tarnishing from coming back, use a wax polish based on carnuba. You can buy wax polish from a local store or Amazon store.
- With a clean lint-free cloth, buff off the wax
- Add wax protection similar to that on your car’s paint.
This will keep the metalwork sealed and will definitely help to improve the tarnishing of gold hardware.
If you have reached our site then why not visit the recommended post on How To Store Bags And Backpacks: 11 Storage Tips, that was practically used by me?
TIP 5 Other Tips
Before we get started, let’s take a look at the tools and materials you’ll need to solve the problem:-
List of necessary material:-
- Cleaning solution (e.g. a polish cleaner or a jewelry cloth)
- Soft cloths (microfiber or cotton)
- Soft-bristled brush
- Baking soda
- Aluminum foil
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Nail polish remover
- Steel wool (optional)
Most of these materials can be found in your kitchen or bathroom. The rest can be purchased at a local hardware or craft store.
The first step in restoring gold-tone hardware on a purse is to clean the hardware. Use a soft cloth and cleaning solution (Click here for Recommended Amazon Polish Cleaner) to remove any dirt or debris that may be on the hardware.
If the hardware is particularly dirty, you can use a soft-bristled brush to scrub away any grime.
Repairing Tarnished Hardware:-
The next step is to remove the tarnish from the hardware once it has been cleaned. Exposure to the elements, oil from the skin, and general wear and tear can cause tarnish. Here are some methods for removing tarnish from gold-tone hardware.
- Baking Soda and Aluminum Foil: Mix a small amount of baking soda with water to form a paste. Then, line a bowl with aluminum foil and place the hardware in the bowl. Pour the baking soda mixture over the hardware and let it sit for 30 minutes. Finally, rinse the hardware with water and dry it with a soft cloth.
- Salt, Lemon Juice, and Aluminum Foil: Mix equal parts salt and lemon juice in a bowl. Line a bowl with aluminum foil and place the hardware in the bowl. Pour the salt and lemon juice mixture over the hardware and let it sit for 30 minutes. Finally, rinse the hardware with water and dry it with a soft cloth.
- Olive Oil: Rub a small amount of olive oil onto the hardware with a soft cloth. Then, use a clean cloth to buff the hardware until it shines.
- Ketchup: Apply a small amount of ketchup to the hardware and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then, rinse the hardware with water and dry it with a soft cloth.
- Nail Polish Remover: Dip a cotton ball in nail polish remover and rub it onto the hardware. Then, use a clean cloth to buff the hardware until it shines.
To remove stubborn tarnish, use steel wool to gently scrub the hardware. However, be careful not to scratch the surface of the hardware.
If you searching for How to remove scratches from handbag hardware then this blog post should definitely fulfill the solution.
Cleaning and Polishing:
Once you’ve removed the tarnish, it’s time to clean and polish the hardware. Use a soft cloth and cleaning solution (such as soap and water) to clean the hardware. Then, use a clean cloth and a small amount of olive oil to polish the hardware. Finally, use a clean, dry cloth to buff the hardware until it shines.
FAQs: How to Restore Faded Gold Hardware on Handbag 2023
Faded bag hardware may end up showing off your expensive designer handbag as dupes therefore finding the right tip from our blog post on How to Restore Faded Gold Hardware on Handbag is your choice.
If you are confused about which tip to use or have confusion over a tip then I would suggest you try the first tip. Not only for me but it did really work for plenty of designer purse owners. Even I found the first tip on the web to use on my Michael Kors purse.
Soi this was the conclusion on our blogpost of How to Restore Faded Gold Hardware on Handbag.