Two of the most famous type of handbags for women satchel and tote are becoming more popular because of their trendy look.
If you also have a satchel or tote bag one question might be popped into your mind like what is the difference between satchel and tote? what is a tote? and what is a satchel bag? that holds a considerable stand in the handbag industry.
There are so many types of a handbag to choose from. However, satchels and totes have become one of the best choices for women. The handbag is one of the best ways to store essentials like cash, credit cards, shopping items, and many more. Let’s move to our topic.
Difference Between Satchel And Tote
1) What is a satchel bag?
The satchel is a type of handbag and often comes in a rectangular shape. The majority of satchel bags have a top handle along with a shoulder strap.
Traditionally was used by school students it remains famous among women in the modern world. Even women prefer satchel bags over other types of handbags because of their trendy look. It can be used on formal and casual occasions. Some of the satchel bags may not be worn on formal occasions but the majority of satchel bags for women continue to reach those criteria to wear it on formal occasions.
It is flat from the bottom and also features a flip cover. It is made using leather, polyester, cotton canvas, and many other materials. Read types of bag materials used in bags to configure which one suits your aspects.
What is the history of satchel bag?
The invention of the satchel bag is untold. However, some earliest satchels were made of leather, and records of the earliest time around AD300 show that Scottish monks were used to carrying their bibles inside leather satchel type of bag.
It is believed that a satchel type of similar bag has existed in the old times.
Till the 1700s it hadn’t got its name as satchel bags but from the 1700s satchel bags had started to become popular among students to carry books and other essentials.
What are the material used in satchel bags?
The majority of satchel bags are made using leather, polyester, and cotton canvas. Among these, all three leather is a durable type of material that can last longer for many years.
Do satchel bags features shoulder strap and a top handle?
The Satchel bag features a shoulder strap and a top handle or two top handles. So no doubt you can carry it as a shoulder bag and as well as a handbag.
2) What is a tote bag?
A tote bag is a large type of bag than a satchel bag and often used as a shopping bag. It is also considered as a large type of handbag to carry like a shopping bag and even can be used in travel.
The majority of tote type handbag comes in the open-top compartment and a set of double top handles to carry on the shoulder and as well with hand.
Tote bags are often used as reusable shopping bags as a replacement for plastic bags. The tote bag also referred to as a “carry-all bag” and usually made of sturdy materials like cotton canvas, nylon, and many more and in addition, also made of leather material.
It features no outside and inside pockets, A tote bag has been kind enough to offer a much sizer space than most other handbags or Waist bags.
What is the history of tote bag?
The invention of the tote bag is unknown but it can trace as long as before many decades of the 17th century.
The tote bag that we know today has its origins in the year of 1940s when US company LL Bean created a bag for a purpose to carry ice and wood. Then it gets the name tote bag but it is believed that it has been here for around many centuries. People were using it to carry their essentials in tote bags.
Today tote bags are available in sorts of material and color options. At present, it is famous as a “shopping bag“.
Initially, it was created using cotton canvas material but nowadays it can be made of PU leather, genuine leather, polyester, and many more.
What are the material used in tote bags?
At present, it is available in sorts of materials including cotton canvas, leather, polyester, and many more. However many find cotton canvas a perfect choice for shopping and as well leather to give it more style and durability.
Do tote bags features shoulder strap and top handles?
The tote bag doesn’t feature a shoulder strap instead it features double top handles. Where a satchel bag features both shoulder strap and top handles. The majority of tote bags come with double top handles.
So finally let me describe the difference between satchel and tote.
- Size: Typically tote bags come in a bigger size than satchel bags.
- Straps: Satchel bags come with a shoulder strap and a handle or double top handles where the tote bag only has double top handles.
- Pockets: Satchel bag comes with interior or exterior pockets or even with both. Many totes on the other side come with no interior and outer pocket.
- Top zipper: A majority of satchel bags come with a top zipper closure for more security, where the tote on the other side doesn’t have a top zipper closure.
- Material: List of materials used in both types of bag are limitless. Make sure that you consider a durable and sturdy type of material. My favored materials are leather (artificial or genuine), cotton canvas, polyester, and nylon. I have shared a blog on materials used in bags, consider visiting it and make sure to choose materials that can last for at least 2-3 years and even more.
- Style and trend: Ofcourse style and trend are aspects of the fashion industry. My favored type of bag that holds aspects of style and trend is satchel because it comes with a shoulder strap and handles and in addition brands give it more style and a trendy look.
Don’t forget to read: